Iowa Floodplain and Stormwater Management Association (IFSMA) is an organization of professionals whose members are involved in floodplain management, flood hazard mitigation, stormwater management, the National Flood Insurance Program, flood preparedness, warning and recovery.
IFSMA represents the interests of flood hazard specialists from local and state government, consulting engineers, research community, insurance industry, and the citizens of Iowa. IFSMA's members have skills and experience in the fields of engineering, hydrologic forecasting, community planning, enforcement, emergency response, water resources, and many others.
The core of our organization's purpose is to positively promote flood risk education throughout the state of Iowa, focusing on the following five main objectives:
- Increase awareness of the role floodplains play in conveying floodwaters and flood risks to structures that are built in the floodplain.
- Increase participation in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Increase participation of NFIP communities in the Community Rating System (CRS)®.
- Increase the number of Certified Floodplain Managers (CFMs)® in the state of Iowa.
- Increase membership in IFSMA.
How to Volunteer
The Board of Directors and Committees are all led by volunteers, and we are always looking for more IFSMA members to get involved! You can volunteer your time and talents in a number of ways; when you join or renew, select a committee on which you'd be interested in serving, or simply contact a current Board member.
IFSMA's beginnings have been built on countless hours of work of volunteers and as we grow, our many successes will continue to reflect this strong commitment to being involved and engaged by our membership!